Monday, September 26, 2011

Malinowy Sok

At least that is how my father (who was polish) wrote it on his bottles.  It was simply a red raspberry juice with a flavor  like Chambord.  The recipe is simple and I have been making (and enjoying) for years.  It simply is berries topped with white sugar.  Those berries will release their juice and start bubbling away.  I assume it is some wild yeasts entering into the mix.  Then simply strain and squeeze out the great juice - bottle and then enjoy after a few weeks (even better a few years later).

So this year it is a new adventure.  Using the same process I am using some wild grapes (too sour to eat) and some crabapples picked off my tree.  The birds and deer are clearly upset but...  Have to see how these turn out.

After making and surviving the experiments in malinowy sok, dandelion wine, ginger beer and even some "jailhouse wine" concoction I figure what is the worst that can happen to me.  

Well if my posts stop in a few weeks - I guess the worst will have happened.  But if  it works - juice "wine" all winter long!

No comments: