Saturday, October 1, 2011

On the bridge with #OccupyWallSt

It started out so well. Liberty Square was vibrant. It felt alive. All ages, all races, all sizes together. We started marching to Brooklyn Bridge. It was a great feeling of being one - cohesive - united. Even those tourists on the double decker buses were flashing signs of support. But then came the bridge...
There are two paths to go on the bridge - one pedestrian way and then one way for vehicles. The vehicle path in front was blocked off - I assumed for construction. There was a large crowd in front of the police phalanx. So I took the pedestrian path. After a few feet a large roar came up from behind. We looked down the car lane and here were the marchers coming up being led by a row of cops. They let us on the car lanes?
People starting jumping over the railing to join the "car path" walkers. There was a feeling that the cops were going to lead us and manage the traffic for our safety. I jumped over - helped to make sure I got over safely. Again, the unity in the air made us all help each other. I can still see the guy who I helped over - holding his sign and backpack.
Marching along, feeling great and Brooklyn in sight. But all of a sudden I saw a few heading back to Manhattan. Then we all came to a dead stop right in the middle of the bridge. Someone next to me climbed on the rail and said that our progress was being stopped by that (I assume) same phalanx of cops who led us up the bridge. Folks on the pedestrian walk were telling us that they were not letting anyone past them. I saw a few young girls calling out to their mother. I saw a few folks telling us to turn around and head back to Manhattan. I saw many just sit down. And I saw a few brave ones climb the girders to get on to the pedestrian walk.
Well that climb was not looking to safe so I looked down to Manhattan and there were the cops with orange fencing behind us and some folks being arrested. So what to do but just take a deep breathe and think about what to do if I was arrested. I then realized that I knew not a soul around me. I never heeded the suggested at Liberty Square to find a buddy. But I kept looking around trying to remember everyone's face. But then a few folks were saying that the cops were letting us go in single file past the orange fences. Relief! I ended up going through and started walking to Manhattan. Okay it was going to end peacefully save for those few arrests I saw. But then I looked back and saw more orange fences and cops starting to walk towards Brooklyn. I also saw that there were very few behind me. Was I somehow one of the last few to be "let go?"
I ended up climbing back over the railing and walking to see the arrests. But we were told to just keep walking - can't have any witnesses to travesties of justice.
I waited at the bottom of the bridge.

Watching the buses and vans waiting to be filled with peaceful folks arrested after a huge setup. I waited there hoping to see the faces of those young girls, or that young man I helped over the railing. Were they arrested? I do not know.
One thing I do know, the cops knew what they were doing. They led us on the car path and then simply turned around and waited for their backup and then penned us in. It was an honor to march for democracy. but it is disgusting to think that the cops setup up - is that a free society?
Shame! But it will bite you in the ass. Mistreatment and entrapment will only increase the voices of the 99%.

No comments: