Thursday, September 16, 2010

Tilapia for dinner

From Little Homestead in the City:
BACKYARD FISH FARMING
I’ve written a few times about Justin’s new “pet” project – fish. Aquaponics is the latest happening here on the urban homestead. Tilapia make a great addition to homesteads because they can be raised in a small area and are extremely hardy.
The other day he got himself a glass fish tank and moved the fish from the galvanized watering trough to their new larger digs. I’m wrangling to make an outdoor bathtub with the galvanized tub Justin still wants to add more fish but that’s another story!
As I was passing the tank, walking from the animal compound to the back porch, I had to stop. Oh my, I can actually now see the fish! Curious, I went over, bent down to see 24 fish staring at me. “Oh dear,” I thought to myself, “we can actually see the fish now!” I stood there mesmerized, watching them with their glinty gold eyes and shimmering bodies and soft fins float softly back in forth in the water like a clock chime counting time. Oh my, now I can actually see er, um dinner, staring at me; and with that thought, I promptly stepped away from the tank before I started to name them.
Our fish are smaller tilapia because we allow female fish in the population. Commercial tilapia farmers raise only males, which grow faster without females around. Naturally raised, non hybrid tilapia take about a year or more, so we have about 6 more months to go.
Green with envy! Still thinking about this project. Anyone have tilapia for sale and bathtubs for free?

No comments: