Monday, July 26, 2010

Black Krim in the house

This is my "new" favorite - no not just because it is the first - besides cherry tomatoes - that I pulled.

Turns out this was the January 2010 Tomato of the Year.  Didn't know that but I agree.
The Black Krim is an heirloom tomato that has gained much popularity in the last few years. The Black Krim is highly regarded for its excellent, yet bold taste, and medium to large size. This tomato can vary in color ranging from a reddish brown hue towards the bottom of the fruit, then darkening to greenish-dark purple shoulders. Just a pinch of salt is needed to enhance the flavor, since this tomato already has a slight salty taste.

This heirloom tomato originates from the Isle of Krim in the Black Sea, near the Crimean Peninsula of Ukraine. It is believed that soldiers returning home from the Crimean War, in the late 19th century, gathered these seeds and began sharing them. As a result these seeds were later widely distributed throughout Europe.
Maybe that is why I enjoy this tomato.  They are in my genes.  My great -grandparents probably had these growing on their farm. 

No comments: