Friday, July 9, 2010

My one vice...

Okay so I have two - a cold beer and smoking a good pipe tobacco.  Sure I have a few pipes but recently had to trim a crabapple tree and saw a perfect limb to try to "carve" into a pipe for gardening work.  Never want to take a good pipe in to the garden - drop it too often. 

Drilled out the bowl and had to look around for a mouthpiece.  Elderberry is the top choice - but no elderberry in my yard.  But I do have forsythia, which like elderberry has an inner pith that can easily be reamed out.

Result:
 It smokes great - and if I drop it or lose it - I can always make another!

Heck - may make a few more just for the novelty.

2 comments:

Chris R. said...

Great post. Crabapple, huh ...does it affect the taste of the tobacco at all?

Chris R.
The Pipe Bit blog
uhles.com

Pax said...

Not at all. Neither does the forsythia stem.