Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Rooftop Farm




The Brooklyn Grange
I'd like to introduce you to The Brooklyn Grange, the newest and biggest rooftop farm in New York City. I visited a few days ago after their public opening to see what Founder/Farmer Ben Flanner was growing for the summer, and I was quite impressed with the progress made in such a short amount of time. His 40,000 square foot farm (just under an acre) was lush with greens, cabbage, tomato plants, corn crops, carrots, swiss chard, various herbs and root vegetables. I seriously didn't think the farm would look as finished or as polished as it did when I set foot, especially since they only began planting in late May. But, it did. The plants looked happy and tasted great, further proving the case for more NYC rooftop farms. Watch the video and see for yourself. Plants like rooftops...or it seems that way to me!
Two things come to mind after watching this video:
  1. I wish I stopped there last Sunday after the flea market (it's in LI City)
  2. I wish my garden had this much space and looked this great
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: